Monday, November 1, 2010

Sanity Restored

It's hard to put the Rally to Restore Sanity situation in words. It was the most civil, large group of people I've ever been around.

Here's a top 10:

1. Will and I both tried to think of a time we were in as big a crowd. We couldn't think of anything bigger.
2. It felt important. I overheard so many people commenting that it was so great that the rally even happened, that they were blown away by how many people were there, that they hoped Glenn Beck was watching, etc. etc. I agree with them on all of those points.
3. I have always loved loved loved John Stewart. See, I even wrote about him way back in 2005!
4. I especially think he's looking fabulous in this picture that I borrowed from Rolling Stone's coverage of the event.


5. The rally was made up of happy people. All around me people were having the best time. Lots of times in big crowds, people get a bit out of control, but not here. People were just nice and friendly and smiling.
6. I don't think they planned for the massive onslaught of people. From where we were on the steps of the National Gallery, we couldn't see the stage and could only hear parts. I heard bits and pieces of Stewart and Colbert and Ozzy, but that was it. There was only one set of speakers and screens not even halfway down the mall from the Capitol. They had no idea so many people would be there I'm sure. So watching it online once I got home was pretty cool. I kept having that "Ohhhh, that's what was going on" moment. Over and over.
7. The signs were awesome. Here are pics of the ones I got.





Here's a link to the best 100.
8. I agree with the point of the rally. We do need to take it down a notch and realize we are all in this thing together. At work last week, someone made a comment that John Stewart was a communist, which could have possibly also been a passive aggressive way of calling me a communist. Possibly. Well, I'm not, and I don't think he is. And what's with the name calling? That doesn't help anything which was the point of the rally. Let's not get into a battle of ridiculous name calling. Let's be rational, reasonable people instead.
9. Best line: "If we amplify everything we hear nothing."--Stewart during his speech at the end.
10. The weather was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment